Lorraine Marzella Barth Weick was born September 24, 1932 in Oak Park, IL to Milton and Grace Barth. She grew up in Elmhurst, attended Lincoln Elementary and Hawthrone Jr. High and, in 1950, graduated from York High School.
In 1954, she graduated from North Central College in Naperville, receiving a Bachelor of Arts degree with majors in Music and Religious Education. While in college, she had a blind date with a sailor named Allan Weick. This romance blossomed and they were married on June 15, 1956 at Faith EUB Church in Elmhurst. They have resided in Westchester, IL since 1957.
Favorite childhood activities included piano lessons, playing tenor sax in band, going to her grandparents' farm, unconfirmed reports of tormenting her younger brother Dean and being pulled on sled behind the family car.
Lorraine was a lifelong member of Faith Church in Elmhurst, joining the church in 1942. She was active in youth groups, junior/adult choirs and women's circles. She served as organist for 37 years beginning in 1953. She bgan the current children's choir ministry in 1974.
Family was an important part of her life. Al and Lorraine had four children: Cindy, Bonnie, David and Eric. In due time, blessings arrived in the form of 18 grandchildren: Jonathan, Hannah, Esther and Rachel Krause; Jessica, Joanna, Angela and David Grabenhofer; Monica, Nicole, AJ, Naomi, Grace and ElliAnna Weick; Michala and Ryan Weick. Birthdays and holidays were important traditions to share together, as well as vacations and family reunions.
Loraine was interested in genealogy and history. She did extensive research on family heritage. She became an ardent supporter of the Franzosenbusch Prairie House in Westchester. She collected Christmas trees, churches and butterflies. Lorraine passed peacefully on Sunday, November 11, 2001 after an extended illness.
This tribute to Lorraine Weick was written by her loving family in celebration of her life.
This article first appeared in the Spring 2002 issue (#11) of "The Prairie House Progress", a newsletter of the Franzosenbusch Heritage Society.
Last Modified: 09/28/2007